Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spiritual Thought: OH MY!!

 I took this picture when Dave and I returned Jacob to Idaho Falls this past Sunday. As I was sitting there, listening to the water rush, and taking in the view, I began to think about a lot of things. Looking at the tree, standing firmly on the rock with gallons of water rushing around it, never giving to the heavy flow, I began comparing it to life in general. Maybe it's because I've been teaching Primary for the past few months, maybe I caught the spirit as I sat on the side of the rivier, but this is what I came up with, feel free to share your thoughts.

I "likened" the tree as to ourselves, the rock as the gospel, and the river is the world.  When you look at the picture, you can see the debris in the background. As a person, you could be the debris, or you could be the tree. For so many years, I've been the debris, floating around, going along with the flow so to speak. The tree, firmly planted on the rock, has been me lately. Standing on that rock, relying on its strength to keep it strong, it like me, relying on the gospel to keep me strong. Lately, it seems like everyone likes to use me as their "shit stick" or punching bag. I'm to blame for a marriage falling apart, a family shattered to pieces, under-weight kids, and probably even somebody's turds not smelling right. At my lowest the last few weeks, I've wanted to find myself some "concrete shoes" and go swimming in the over-flowing Snake River. When I have these thoughts though, I think of the many things I have around me that I shouldn't give up on. Like the tree relies on the rock, I need to rely on the Gospel much more than I use to. I feel like the overflowing, crazy river of life's problems are trying to knock me down, and like the smaller tree in this picture, thought I appear to be drowning among the troubles, I'm taking a firm grip on the gospel and relying on it for my strength.
Ok, so this all sounded much better and clearer in my head, but doesn't everything? You guys pretty much have an idea though, as to why I am thinking the way I am.

No comments: