Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Very Close Encounter




So Dave's brother Jacob sent us a VERY disturbing text early Saturday evening. We were buying dog food, and I looked at Dave's phone to see the text said that my 2yr. old nephew Matthew, came face to face with a 2ft. snake, and a stray cat intervened, came between my nephew and the snake. We thought nothing much of it, thought maybe it was a blow snake or something. Then came the pictures of the snake. At first, it looked like a corn snake with the way the light was shining on it. At that point, I was on the phone with my brother in law, they said the snake was coiled and ready to strike just before the cat startled it. He also said that his little brother cut the tail off the snake trying to kill it.
Once I saw the 2nd and 3rd pictures, I knew immediately how lucky Matthew really was. He had come face to face with a 2ft. Diamondback Rattlesnake. Knowing how small he is, and how far away from a hospital they lived, I knew that if that snake had bit him, he wouldn't survive it. They live between Twin Falls and Jerome, the Hospital in Twin is about 15-20 minutes at least through town, possibly longer depending on lights and traffic. The hospital in Jerome is just as far away, so he wouldn't have stood a chance. I'm happy to know that somebody upstairs was watching out for him, I don't think I could have stood that kind of a loss, especially that soon after my grandma passing.

No comments: