Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Very Dark Storm On Our Horizon

Ok, so we spoke with a Realtor yesterday about selling our house. He is an old High School buddy of Mom's, and seems pretty trustworthy. Anyway, he said, as is, we could very easily list our house for 98K, and when he was done talking with us, he went to the title companies to find out for sure how much is owed on the property. Not even 30 minutes later, I got a call from him saying that he had some news for us that puzzled him. He met us back at the house, and told us that we had actually signed over the deed to somebody else for $10. I was FLOORED! Come to find out, what had happened was back in Dec, when we had somebody trying to help us save the house, she had us meet her at the bank just before it closed, and we signed papers saying that she was beneficiary, to be able to work with our mortgage company on our behalf. She told us this would be temporary, that we were not signing our property to her and what not. We also found out that she had a trust set up in our name.
The Realtor said that if we knew of it, we would have seen paperwork on it. Instead of this being temporary, they own the house, we're stuck with the mortgage, and it's theirs until the day Dave dies. I've contacted the woman who scammed us, and she returned my call while I was asleep so first thing Monday, I will be on the phone with her and my attorneys to resolve this. If she won't sign the deed over to us, I will either ask her to pay off the loan with cash left over for us to get another place, or take legal action. I have found out that we're not the only ones this happened to with this particular company, and I am definitely not going to refer them to anyone else. I will keep you updated as things progress/regress.

2 comments:

DAN said...

WOW ....really sorry to hear about the down turn in events. I hope you are able to figure everything out and get this resolved easily. If not then at least try to sell the house for what you owe and realtor fees so she wont get much profit from the sale. . . sorry to hear about this sis.

Chrystal said...

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about that! I hope everything works out!!