Monday, October 4, 2010

Diaper Cakes

Ok, so the latest trend for a baby shower is to gift a diaper cake. For those of you who don't know what one of those are, they're diapers that have been rolled up, rubber banded and placed in the form of a cake, covered or uncovered, then decorated with miscellanious baby items.

The one I made for Heather when Troy was coming, was a round one, and my first. The one that is pictured here is for Emily's shower, and I decided to experiment a bit, and made a square one. It turned out a bit better than I expected, at least the front of it. The back needed a lot of work, and if I could've cut the material I used as "frosting" I know it'd have looked even better. The "frosting" material is actually the bottom of a blanket I'm gonna tie for Josie. I've also been asked to crochet her a shawl rather than a blanket, so the hunt is on for a good, easy pattern that I can work on. It is just a few weeks away, but I'm up for the challenge. Maybe I can focus on that rather than my depression, and work on a better, happier me.
  Though the Diaper Cakes can be a bit spendy to assemble, it's a lot of fun for me, and I enjoy doing it. Maybe with time, they'll get to looking better each and every time I make one.

No comments: