Sunday, January 18, 2009

Each man is a hero and an oracle to somebody

Lately I've been thinking about my first serious boyfriend. I recently found out that he's in the middle of changing genders, and have been struggeling with my feelings about the situation. When he first told me his decision, I was shocked as it goes against everything the church teaches. I told him that I didn't understand why he felt he needed to do this, and that I don't agree with it nor do I support it, but that I'd be here as a friend if he needed one.
I know that is a bit contradicting, but I've known this guy for seventeen years, and I can't turn my back on him just because he feels he needs to do this. The reason I've been thinking about him a lot is because his ex-wife has decided to break custody agreements, and won't let him see his son. He's really hurting and has contemplated suicide lately.
Ever since I can remember, I've been a shoulder that he can lean on, and he's been leaning pretty hard lately. Because he's been banned from seeing his son, and with the lifestyle changes he's making, he's been contemplating taking his own life. He doesn't know where he fits in the world, and feels all alone. Not only did I suggest talking to a shrink, and maybe see about anti-depressants (yes, sometimes they're needed), but I made him promise that when he gets those thoughts, to either call me, think about his son and if he really wants to be that selfish to leave him behind, or both.
Some say I'm crazy for being there for him, but it doesn't matter. He knows that I don't agree with his decision, that I can't bring myself to calling him by his female name, or that I still see him as the boy I fell in love with so many years ago, who shattered my heart and taught me how to forgive. We've got a bond between us that Dave understands and accepts. (or so he says) From what I've seen and heard, this person doesn't really have anyone else who cares for his well-being.
I don't really know the purpose of this post, I guess it's just to get my thoughts about my ex off my chest. Don't get me wrong, I really care about him, but he's not an obsession, nor do I have feelings for him like I use to. He's a friend, and right now he's a friend in need. I hope I can convince him to get help, and that everything works out for him.

No comments: