Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Really Great Man


Today's entry is a sad one. For 2 1/2 years, Officer Daniel B. Gilbert has been fighting Lou Gehrigs Disease, and until recently, was doing a good job from what I've heard.
When Dave woke me up for his lunch break this morning, he paged me and told me that Mom came home from Church early because Dan Gilbert had passed away, within the hour.
I came upstairs to get the information, and as the day progressed, the full story began to unfold.
Apparently, Dan had slipped into a coma last night around 3am. Doctors said he'd be in the coma for about a week, but at 10:30am, this morning, he passed away. Not only was Dan a good Police Officer, but he was our Home Teacher, and friend. I can remember the jokes about the traffic lights on the "cruise" he and I had, arguing over weather the light was red, yellow, or orange.
Watching him race his wife to our house to home teach us, and just talking with him for a while, it was fun. Dan was a really good man, and will deeply be missed by all.

No comments: